We’re Hiring! Program Associate Position Description
The Tri-State Coalition for Responsible Investment is hiring a second Program Associate to support our shareholder engagement work on climate change, sustainability, and impact investing. See job description and application instructions below or view the posting on Idealist.
About the Tri-State Coalition for Responsible Investment
Members of the Tri-State Coalition leverage our collective shareholder voice to advocate for ethical and sustainable business practices that promote respect for human dignity and the common good. Founded in 1975, the Coalition has over forty years of experience with this form of work for economic and social justice, known as shareholder advocacy or shareholder engagement. The Tri-State Coalition for Responsible Investment (Tri-CRI) is a membership organization composed of 40 Catholic institutional investors, including women religious, dioceses, and institutions, primarily based in the New York Tri-State area (NY, CT, NJ). Our members strive to align their investments with the principles of Catholic social teaching and recognize that their investment portfolios can also be used as an instrument to advance their ministries.
The Program Associate will work closely with the Executive Director and current Program Associate to support our socially responsible investing work and the day to day operations of the office. The Program Associate should possess an understanding of business and human rights, responsible investing or environmental, social, and governance (ESG) integration, sustainability, and environmental issues. The Program Associate will work on a variety of environmental justice and sustainability issues, with particular emphasis on the impacts of corporate activity on climate change, water and food sustainability, indigenous peoples’ rights, resource extraction, and the UN Sustainable Development Goals. After appropriate training, the Program Associate will support the Coalition’s Proxy Voting Service, implementing votes in accordance with tailored voting guidelines on company proxy statements for director elections, corporate governance, and environmental and social issues. In a small, fast-paced office, this position presents a great opportunity for growth within the position and future career development in the Socially Responsible Investing (SRI) field.
The Program Associate will be responsible for the following activities:
- Conduct research and analysis to support shareholder engagement with Corporations. Conduct research on specific companies and a variety of environmental and sustainability as related to our engagement priorities with companies.
- Participate in corporate dialogues with access to high level management to address sustainability, climate change, environmental justice, and responsible resource extraction.
- Assist in the drafting of talking points, shareholder resolutions, proxy advisor memos, and educational resources in support of shareholder advocacy and SRI priorities.
- Responsible Investment. Stay abreast of research and trends in responsible and impact investment to support work on investment guidelines, community and impact investing, and active ownership.
- Proxy voting. Conduct research related to voting proxies for companies’ Annual Meetings in support of environmental, social, and governance concerns and implement votes on behalf of clients in accordance with socially responsible voting guidelines.
- Support office communications. Contribute to the drafting and editing of monthly newsletters, update organization’s website, and maintain social media presence.
- Participate in networks and working groups relevant to areas of engagement.
- Member engagement. Provide support and guidance to membership on responsible investment and shareholder engagement.
- Office Management. Provide assistance in management of day to day office operations. Provide administrative support for the office, including assistance with mailings, special events, communications, travel, and IT.
- Bachelor’s degree required, focus on environmental issues, sustainable development, business, international relations, or political science preferred.
- Strong writing, research, and analytical skills.
- Commitment to social justice, advocacy, climate justice, and solidarity with people who are economically poor.
- Familiarity with and willingness to promote Catholic social teaching and comfort working within the Catholic faith tradition.
- Commitment to Tri-State CRI’s mission, with respect and understanding for our work.
- Excellent organizational, oral and written communication, and computer skills.
- Possess a strong work ethic and demonstrate sound judgment. Have a high degree of flexibility and ability to adjust to changing circumstances.
- Proven ability to take initiative, and work as a self-starter and team member.
- Previous office experience preferred.
Job Type: Full Time
Anticipated Start Date: 09/17/2018
Application Deadline: 08/24/2018
Compensation & Benefits
Tri-CRI offers a salary of $36,000 – $38,000 and a benefits package which includes health and dental insurance, a 403(b) plan after one-year, and 10 days paid time off and holidays.
Professional Level: Entry level
Minimum Education Required: 4-year degree